In a competitive housing market, selling a house quickly is not always possible. Making your home more appealing to buyers can help, as can working with the right team of real estate professionals. You can do many proactive things to speed up your home-selling experience to be on your way to your household relocation.
Here’s what you need to know.
1. Stage Your Home
Staging is a process of decorating, decluttering, and de-personalizing your house to make it appear attractive and move-in ready. Staging can impress buyers and make listing pictures more attractive as well. Some staging tips:
- Start by de-cluttering each room. All surfaces should be clean and clear of the clutter that tends to build up inside most homes.
- Deep clean each room, including parts of the house you rarely think about (like the tops of your ceiling fans, the back of the couch, the space behind the dresser, etc.)
- Get rid of old pieces of furniture that look drab and don’t contribute to the overall decor of your home.
- Buy, rent, or borrow a few new furnishings to give your home a newly decorated feel.
- Repaint rooms that need it.
If you need help with the staging process, work with a decorator to do it for you. Getting help from a professional can go a long way.
2. Hire the Right Real Estate Professional
An excellent real estate agent will know how to price your home so that it’s ideal for attracting buyers. Find a real estate professional with experience in your area and a track record for selling homes quickly. Vet several real estate professionals before picking one. Be sure to check their references.
3. Take Care of Deferred Maintenance
Many buyers want homes that are “turnkey,” meaning it’s ready to move into without doing much work. One way to make your home turnkey is to take care of any deferred maintenance. Fix small broken things around the house. Make repairs and replacements as needed. Ask yourself what a home buyer might want to do to your house shortly after moving in, and then do that work for them.
4. Fill Your Home With Natural Light
Natural light can make your home look clean and inviting. Replace any dark, heavy curtains with light sheers. Clean your windows. If outside shrubs block light from entering your home, trim them back.
5. Get Professional Photos
One way to bring buyers calling is to make your home looks lovely in the listings. Get photos taken by a professional. You’ll have to spend a little money on it, but you’ll be glad you did.
6. Work on Curb Appeal
Just as staging your home makes the inside more appealing to buyers, working on curb appeal makes the exterior more attractive. Here are some things to add to your list
- Update your landscaping
- Plant colorful new flowers
- Remove weeds
- Water and mow your lawn
- Clean your home’s exterior
- Paint your front door a fresh color
Moving Soon? Find Movers Fast
Once your home sells, you’ll have little time to move out. It’s time to find a moving company you can trust. Contact us today to get started with your relocation.